About the blog

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where, as time allows, I will post comments, inspirational words, favorite things and short essays about daily life. I get to meet and interview interesting people through my job, so why not share some of it with all of you? If you like what you see, please forward a link to your friends and family.



Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cake or Pie?

     2012 is going to be my year. I know this because James Oseland, editor-in-chief of Saveur magazine (http://www.saveur.com/), was on the Today show today and said so.

     Oseland declared that, among other things, 2012 will be the year of the cake. I have always believed that you're either a cake person or a pie person. Sure, you might like both, but when it comes down to it, you really prefer one over the other. I come from a family of cake people.

     Wouldn't you know, I married into a family of pie people. In the world of fundamental food choices, we're polar opposites on many other dishes: he likes mashed potatoes, I like au gratin. He likes chicken and noodles; I like mine with beef. He likes French toast; I like pancakes. He likes sweet pickles; I like dill. You get where I'm going?

     So after years of sweet food trends focusing on pies, empanadas and other treats encased in pastry, cake will finally get its due. One of my favorite cakes to bake is Carrot Cake. Here's the recipe I use: from Southern Living. (My husband Steve, the pie guy, love, love, loves this cake!)

     So what are you: a cake person or a pie person?

Best Carrot Cake
From Southern Living
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups grated carrot
  • 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 (3 1/2-ounce) can flaked coconut
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
  • Buttermilk Glaze
  • Cream Cheese Frosting

Preparation

  1. Line 3 (9-inch) round cakepans with wax paper; lightly grease and flour wax paper. Set pans aside.
  2. Stir together first 4 ingredients.
  3. Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Fold in carrot and next 3 ingredients. Pour batter into prepared cakepans.
  4. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Drizzle Buttermilk Glaze evenly over layers; cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
Buttermilk Glaze
Recipe
1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine $ 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation

  1. Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring often, 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.

Cream Cheese Frosting
 
         1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 (3-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 (16-oz.) box powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Preparation

  1. 1. Beat all ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment